MOO-cows Mailing List Archive
Re: Builtins [LPMOO]
> If I load a DB that has builtins that LPMOO doesn't recognize, I hear
> that it will still load ok, but what happens to the verbs with the
> unknown builtins? Is it simply not programmed? (would be bad) Or does
> the verb just fail when ya try to run it? (would be good)
At present LPMOO will fail to load such a db, just like LambdaMOO.
However, being able to load a db with unknown builtins has obvious advantages.
I'd like to add this capability to LPMOO sometime in the future. The reason I
haven't already is it's not obvious what should happen to the builtin call.
Some random ideas:
- refuse to program the verb, but continue loading the db
- program the verb, replacing the unknown() with E_VERBNF:unknown()
- program the verb, replacing the unknown() with "unknown()"
- allow any unknown() to exist, but always raise E_VERBNF upon execution
- allow any unknown() to exist, and bind the function at runtime; perhaps
redirect it to #0:unknown()
Subject Index |