Re: databases

On Sun, 5 Nov 1995, Jacqueline Hamilton wrote:

> Has anyone ever bootstrapped the Minimal db into something respectable?

Yes, I have written a MUD.  The major variations are security
considerations, which don't really exist in the MUD environment, because
there are no 'programmers' as such.  In a MUD, a programmer is, in
reality, a Wizard.  A Wizard being someone capable of performing VR feats
beyond the reach of mortals :^)

As far as VR goes, it's much more realistic than the standard 'chat' MOO
is, simply because everyone behaves 'in character', simply because the
code only allows IC behaviour.  The emote command is specifically flagged
to ensure that it doesn't disturb this.

It's major features are combat role playing, VT-100/ANSI color, and a few
other things like that.

I'll notify the list when I open it up.

Another quiet listener on the list who has done the same sort of thing is
C.S Mo <randoma@vui.com>.

I think Kipp has done the same sort of thing, but I think he started with
LambdaCore, and then reduced it into a Semi-Minimal.db and then built up
from there.  The ever verbose C. Regis Wilson has done likewise.

Pavel obviously started with the Minimal.db in the pre-historic past :^)

Regards,

Ian.

| Ian Macintosh         | P.O. Box 24-036      | Anything really worth    |
| General Manager       | Royal Oak            | doing, is worth doing    |
| Sytek New Zealand Ltd | Auckland 1           | badly.     - Duncan Shaw |
| Tel : +64 9 480-3034  |                      | Mobile : +64 25 836-230  |