Re: LPMOO and binary db sillyness

At 6:41 PM 12/1/95, Marc wrote:
>You know, I had a couple laughs at the reasons why binary db's are
>bigger, had a few REAL LARGE ones in fact...
>
>Eventually, I assumed somebody would give the -real- reason, but I guess
>everybody who's clueful enough to know thought the same thing, so I drew
>the lucky straw....

I find this particularly insulting, as probably do the others who gave
'incorrect' answers.  As I stated in my attempted explanation, I know
little about this subject and that my explanation was probably wrong.
However, insulting others for having wrong answers is extremely
inappropriate.

>------ PAY ATTENTION:
>
>LPMOO binary databases are so significantly higher then the standard MOO
>database for two -PRIMARY- reasons, there are others:
>
>  1) The LPMOO has to store original MOO source code -and- the
>     LPC translated equivalent. Remember folks, LPMOO is not a native
>     interpreter like MOO, it compiles it to the native LPC language and
>     then interpretes -that-, it needs to keep the original MOO source
>     around so you can edit it, list it.. etc..
>
>  2) There is overhead in LPMOO itself. Again, LPMOO is not `native',
>     there is significant overhead in the database to provide the
>     functionality of the conversion from MOO to DGD itself. All MOO
>     builtins have to be reimplemented

This has absolutely nothing to do with it.  The binary DB stores nothing
more than the MOO's code and some basic task information (For restarting
forked tasks over 'warm' reboots.)  Builtins are stored in
std/bfuns/moofuns.c and std/bfuns/extrafuns.c, not in the DB.  And
conversion from MOO to LPC is done by the LPMOO server.

>----------
>
>Ok, for some reason I assumed this was all in the LPMOO docs, so I was
>getting huffy cuz people weren't looking, but I wasn't able to find it
>myself, still, some of the answers were outright incredibly wrong.

Again, this is no reason to start insulting people.

>Oh, and (on an ASCII based system) an A is saved as decimal 65 regardless
>of if it is saved in a text file or a binary database. In fact, that's
>kind of a silly distinction as the OS couldn't care less. `Text' files
>are just binary files using only a subset of characters, with \n
>(newlines) spread usefully thruout the document.
>

>Marc                                       http://www.got.net/marc
>marc@got.net                               Finger for PGP key and Geek Code

Matt Pauker