Re: Case (in)sensitivity

On Mon, 4 Dec 1995, Melanie wrote:

> We've run across a situation where we may need to make our MOO deal
> with case sensitivity, at least as far as player-names go. Basically,
> I'm looking for input--has anyone done this, tried to do this,
> anything? I don't recall ever seeing it done, but how big a problem
> would it be to do it? I'm pretty darn sure it's not a good idea, from a
> moo-code standpoint, I'm just wondering how far into the bad scale it
> gets, and what as-yet-unthought of horrors it's going to cause. :)
>
> Melanie.
> (melanie@tripod.com)

  I'm not sure if there is a way to do a case sensitive thing, but for
some reason I think there is/was/might be something along that line in
the $string_utils. I know passwords can be case sensitive, but thats
because of the crypt() function which is not written in MOO code. It
sounds like a bad idea though, having case sensitivity on a MOO,
Especially with the player names. Things could get quite confusing with 2
different players using the same name when the only difference is a
capital letter somewhere. Anyways, maybe someone else can shed a bit more
light on this subject.

Mike duHeaume