Re: Request for LambdaMOO 1.8.0

At 18:17 12/13/95, Don Schwarz wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Dec 1995, Rich Connamacher wrote:
>
>> I have a request for something to be put into the final release of
>> LambdaMOO 1.8.0: allow verb names in builtin functions to be numbers,
>> rather than strings.  If they're numbers, then they'll ALWAYS be
>> interpreted as the verb's number, rather than the verb's name.
>>

>I thought the idea was not to name verbs as numbers.  I don't see any
>reason that you'd have to name a verb as a number without being able to
>put a _ or something in front of it.  Maybe we should just make it so
>verbs can never be named after numbers.

You can do it in-db, no need to change the server for that (by changing
$bf:bf_add_verb &  $bf:bf_set_verb_info or whatever the name/location for
the built-in you made wiz only to enfore players to call $bf:bf_...)

I have a verb named "1* 2* 3* 4* 5* 6* 7* 8* 9*"  on of of the FO in my
core... this verb is in charge of allowing the users to type numbers to
navigate into menus while having access to all his/her other commands. I
could not rename that verb without asking user to type something else than
numbers (which would be non-intuitive).

Given that I work with verbs which names are number, I think Phatom idea is
*very usesul*.

Just my $0.02

Janus

---