Re: moo mail

> Bill Garrett <bill@yeehaw.com> wrote:
>
> >As a wizard, type this in:
>
> >  ;open_network_connection( "localhost", 25 )
>
> >It should give you a negative object number, like:
>
> >  => #-1234 <invalid>
>
> >In this case, type:  ;boot_player( #-1234 )
> >If you see this, something is weird.
>
> I did this and did get a negative object number which I then booted.  This
> didn't solve the mailing out problem, so I tried it again and got another
> negative object number (the first was -50, the second was -51, the third
> was -52, so I imagine this would continue ad infinitum) which I then
> booted.  What now?
>
> -batman@epix.net- wrote:
> > The system cannot resolve the name of the system you're connected from.
> >means that your nameserver is down.
>
> I checked with my sys admin who says the nameserver is definitely not down.
>
> I examined $network on Lambda Moo and compared their settings to my
> settings, and my moo has everything set to our specs the way they have
> theirs set to their specs.  Why won't my moo send mail when people do
> @request?  This is really a stumper, and I'm not sure what to check next to
> solve the problem.

I have a similar problem to this on my Linux 1.3.xx running 1.7.9 (compiled
with GCC 2.7.0 as ELF) as well. Using the JHCore sheds a bit more light on the
trouble however. The output from '@request jlee for jlee@hijinx.com' follows:

The connection is from 'hijinx.com, port 1625' but the mail address is
 'hijinx.com'; these don't seem to be the same place.
To register, send mail to ssayer@hijinx.com.

The port number is somehow messing up the conventional testing going on here. I
haven't poked at this one a lot because I've been working on the same problem
with gopher that was recently posted by Madhu Rao (see "GopherMOO-Question"
from 21-Dec-1995). Both problems appear to be parsing related however which is
where I've been focusing my efforts. I'm just learning MOO code however so I'm
walking and not running through it.

FWIW my name servers and network connections are also fine. After fixing a bug
in the player creation code I can create players and email them info
successfully.

Later,

<SS>

{ssayer@hijinx.com | ssayer@rust.net | ssayer@umcc.umich.edu}
    Sysop, Hijinx - 28.8,N,8,1 - Data & Fax: 313-747-8352
 Those with webbed fingers try <http://www.rust.net/~ssayer>