The clue-cows manifesto

I guess I haven't mailed this out for some time.  Aside from CCS
totally breaking python for a week and me going to conferences that
last 5 days, clue-cows has run smoothly for, what, at least a year
now.

Except for me just forwarding that message from boston-raves.  Oops.

The clue-cows manifesto
high volume, or low signal-to-noise ratio.  I started clue-cows
because I realized I was forwarding messages for them.

What clue-cows is
-----------------

Clue-cows is a forwarding service I provide for selected moo-cows
articles.  I forward the messages I consider interesting to its list
of subscribers.

Clue-cows is effectively a low-tech filtering mechanism.  See below.

What clue-cows is not
The only things sent on it are messages that have already appeared on
moo-cows.

This implies that you don't need to be subscribed to both.

Clue-cows is not a Power Elite plot.

What I forward
--------------

I'm not very objective.  I have a strong bias towards people who are
very well known in the MOO community.  I like answers more than
questions.  I like technical issues more than social issues on one
particular MUD.  I tend not to look at messages that aren't formatted
and spelled nicely.

Your recourse
after all, you won't miss anything.

3) You could start your own forwarding service.  Yes, this means that
you'd have to subscribe to moo-cows again, but you'd be doing *your*
friends a favor.

Option 3) is why I claim this isn't a Power Elite plot.  My influence
is exactly equal to how much people respect my opinion of what's
important.

Technical issues
----------------

Clue-cows is currently implemented by an amazing pile of software
written in python, perl4, mh, and elisp.  Forwarded messages will
still appear to be To: moo-cows@parc.xerox.com; the only indication
that a message is from me are "Resent-From: clue-cows" and
"Resent-Date:" headers.  If you're filtering moo-cows with slocal or
zinc, you probably don't need to change a thing.

This is a primitive filtering system.  Of course, what I'd really like
is a Seals Of Approval (SOAP) implementation for mailing lists, but if
you know of any better solution than I have now, please let me know.

How to subscribe

Send mail to `nop@nop.com'.  Yes, there's a human at that address.  If
you'd like the rather sporadic digest version, mention that.
--
Jay Carlson    nop@nop.com    nop@kagoona.mitre.org

Flat text is just *never* what you want.   ---stephen p spackman

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index