Re: Connection Redirection?

On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, SunRay wrote:

> M. Childs wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >         I'm interested in having a way to transfer what player-object a
> > connection is attached to.  This function would redirect where the
> > incoming text is handled, and call confunc on the new object.  Security
> > concerns aside, does anyone have suggestions on how to make this, so
> > player A can suddenly become player B, without logging out and back in?
> > >From fiddling in database I've come to believe this could only be done by
> > writing a new function to compile into the server?
> >         Help and suggestions would be appreciated,
> >
> > thanks,
> > Morgan Childs
>
> I see such a thing to be useful in much the same way that the Unix `su' command
> is useful.  If you prefer to work as a nonwizard most of the time, this would
> make it easy to switch users into your wizardly character.

Okay, here's a silly question then-

Say I were to implement a verb on myself, @wiz, which of course is
wizard-owned and it's sole purpose is to toggle my wizbit.  Save for a
few minor things (like @chown, for example), shouldn't this allow me to
fully function as a wizard?  Why play with output redirection and
'su'-like commands?  I forsee being unable use any verbs written on the
wizard player-class, and a potential for a breach in security.  My
questions are how inconvenienced would I truly be by not being able to
execute those verbs, and how potentially large of a security hole could I
open up?

--
+ John West, ranalou@stoopid.res.wpi.edu
+ Ranalou on CowsGoMOO, stoopid.res.wpi.edu 1234  <--- Official Blatant Plug!