Re: really stupid newbie question

A more general system of handling @go would be to use a room database.
Then, just look up a name in the room database to get the # of the room.
That's how @go works on BayMOO and many other MOOs.  I don't have the
actual code with me, so I'm sorry if I can't give an example of how to
impliment such a thing.  Feel free to stop by BayMOO some time and check
out the @go verb.

(The room database is just a child of the generic database, that's part
of the core.  The room database itself is not, unless it got added to
LambdaCORE recently.  It works the same way as the player database.)

Remember,

Server - the executable that you make when you compile all the C code you
ftp off of parcftp.  The one you're using is version 1.7.9p2.

Core   - the central, most important part of the database.  Generally, if
an object can be referenced with a $name, that object is part of the
core.  The starter database you pick off of parcftp, LambdaCORE, is an
example of a core, although the core doesn't go away when you run the
MOO.  You can even add new objects to the core. (in LambdaCORE, use the
command @corify to add an object to the core.)  Don't go core happy
though, this should only be used on extremely central objects, and not
cosmetic things like your favorite generic room that has seats and details
and leaky cealings and toilets that really clog.  :-)

Phantom