[SERVER] NIS password checking.

Greetings,

	I have a few tiny questions, regarding NIS password checking from
within MOO. In the MetroMOO we use it, for security reasons as well as
user-comfort, because all MOO accounts are linked to a (restricted) Unix
account in the Digital City.
	Unfortnately, in the current implementation, the NIS check is
done in a single builtin, so if the NIS server is a tad slow (or worse,
the server went down) the entire MOO hangs. So I want to use a
master/slave setup like the Name-lookup mechanism, both to keep the MOO
from lagging and to keep the MOO from crashing :-)
	Has anyone done anything like this ? Is this a stupid idea and
should I look into non-blocking I/O ? Or 'simply' fork a new process for
every NIS lookup, using SIGCLD/SIGCHLD to signal completion of lookup ?
Which would be /least/ likely to crash the whole MOO ?

Thanx in advance for your time :-)
	Thomas.

Thomas Wouters   |   Visit The Digitale City (DDS)   | Forever an Addict to
zonny@moo.dds.nl |    The Dutch Digital Community    | Virtual, Digital,
Ynnoz @ MOOs     | http://www.dds.nl/plein/centraal/ | Unconventional Rubbish
Jay_* @ MUS[HE]s |  WWW -- World Wide Wackos :)      | (Except for Windows)