Re: New Server

>I've been thinking that while the LambdaMOO server is
>incredibly cool, it may be showing its age a bit. I've been
>toying around with creating a server, based very heavily on
>the parser.y file from LambdaMOO distribution.

Before jumping in, and getting a feature list, you might want to do a
quick survey of server alternatives that already exist or are being
developed.  In my opinion, creating a server/language is a community
thing.  One person can create a server, language, and core, but it
will continue to grow only after others can be convinced that their
time is best spent with a new system.

For example, if I decide to use another server, I'll be looking mostly
at the vision of the developers, and how open they are to external
involvement in "their" project.  This moo-cows mailing list is one
example of the kind of involvement that I'll be looking for.

Here's a small survey of server alternatives that I know about.
Perhaps you could merge your vision with one of these existing groups?

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/rob/lpmoo.html

	[I have a co-worker who got this running.  It really is 100%
	Lambda Core compatible.]

	LPMOO is a DGD-based simulation of LambdaMOO. It emulates
	version 1.7.8 of the MOO server, with only a few differences
	and a several enhancements.

	At the heart of LPMOO is DGD, a relatively new flavor of
	interactive network server heavily influenced by LPmud. The
	LambdaMOO simulation is achieved through the use of DGD
	objects written in LPC, the internal language of DGD.

http://www.cold.org/

	[You've seen this tread already.  It looks promising.]

	The ColdX Project is a conglomeration of programmers involved
	with ColdC, the ColdC driver Genesis, and any other "cold"
	related items. Genesis/ColdC is an object oriented database
	language with a stack-based byte-code interpreter, intended
	for network server applications such as Virtual Environment
	Systems. The ColdX Project Charter is available.

http://betz.biostr.washington.edu/~jsp/muq/muq.html
	http://betz.biostr.washington.edu/~jsp/muq/WHY-MUQ.TXT

	[It doesn't look like this has been publically announced, so I
	won't post their features here.  But their web files are
	publicly available!  From the surface it looks very interesting.]

Best regards,

Bruce Rafnel
    E-Mail: rafnelb@mayfield.hp.com, VMail: (415) 691-5421
S-Mail: Hewlett-Packard Co., 100 Mayfield Ave. MS/36LC, Mountain View, CA 94034
The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at least
until we have finished building it.