Re: MOO survey

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Jackie Hamilton wrote:

> I'm mainly interested in getting a feel for how widespread MOO is now, how
> many people participate on MOOs, and what the average MOO is like
> size-wise.  I'm interested just because, well, I'm interested :)  I like
> MOO, and run a moderately large MOO on my own time, not SJG-related.  And
> of course SJG has its Metaverse MOO which we've considered reworking to be
> based on our own game systems, but we've had concerns about whether to use
> MOO or something else.  I'm encouraged by the fact that so many people are
> using MOO, and that MOO appears to still be getting support (both from
> players and from the server dev. team).

I'm running two MOOs at the moment, one private and one under
construction.  The private one supports Information System Management
classes at the University of Maryland Baltimore County (UMBC) and has
fewer than 200 members -- mostly those enrolled in the classes.  Database
size 2.6M.  The second MOO is running at Anne Arundel Community College
in Maryland, intended to support several Internet based computer-related
courses there.  Current size approx 2M, 10 members.

> I'll be happy to post results to the list in a few days, if anyone else is
> curious.  So far only 11 people/MOOs have responded;  all of them are open
> MOOs (or semi-open with educational or professional), with an average of
> 1000 players.  Most MOOs are seeming to fall into one of two categories:
> small/new MOOs with a 5-6 meg db and about 200-400 players, and the really
> BIG MOOs with 20+ meg db's and >2000 players.   (This doesn't count
> Lambda, which is bigger than anyone else anyway.)

I'm very interested in results of the survey.
Dick S.

 | seabrook@clark.net  __    Anne Arundel Community College    |
 | (410)541-2424      <>:-)  http://sun.aacc.cc.md.us/~rhs     |
 | Speed the Net!                                              |