[newbie] listening note programming question

Hello all;

After collin and others showed me how to make a simple listening object,
I got ambitious.  But being of newbie status, I didn't want to go
overboard.  I took $note and added a verb :tell with the string
this:set_text({@this.text, dobjstr});

This added anything said onto the note.

But now I want to add the names of the speaker.  So I tried:

this:set_text({this.text, tostr(player.name, " -> ", argstr)});

Which works, but ONLY gives me the last thing that someone said prefaced
by their name, and a cryptic {list}

I would like my little listening note to keep a full record of all the
speakers.

Any suggestions?

BTW, I do use ;(note obj. num).text = (recorder obj. num).record (again
at COlin's suggestion) at present to force the text from my present
listening object onto the note, but since I hope that this will be a
useful generic object, I want something slightly more sophisticated.

Thanks in advance,

Jason

--
D. Jason Nolan
jnolan@oise.on.ca

Department of Curriculum
Ontario Institute for Stupidity in Education
University of Toronto
(416)923-6641 x2528