Re: [newbie] listening note programming question

On Thu, 9 May 1996, D. Jason Nolan wrote:
> overboard.  I took $note and added a verb :tell with the string
> this:set_text({@this.text, dobjstr});
>
> This added anything said onto the note.
>
> But now I want to add the names of the speaker.  So I tried:
>
> this:set_text({this.text, tostr(player.name, " -> ", argstr)});
                 ^

You left out the @ - the 'unravel' operator. Without it, you copy the
exact value of this.text, including the outermost '{' and '}'. With it,
you copy the value of this.text, stripping away the outermost '{' and '}'.

> Which works, but ONLY gives me the last thing that someone said prefaced
> by their name, and a cryptic {list}

Probably you are converting this.text to a string... most string
functions barf on the imbedded list structure and just return {list}.

*This article is a natural product.  The slight variations in logic and
*coherence enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way
*are to be considered flaws or defects.