Re: Cease and Desist!

On Sun, 2 Jun 1996, Arthur Chandler wrote:
>   We received this message the other day from a man who apparently feels
> that the name of one of our player's rooms violates his exclusive right
> to "Mystical Crossroads." BayMOO is accessible through the web, and
> generates an "on-the-fly" temporary page so that visitors can browse
> rooms, objects, etc.
>   Has anyone here any thoughts or experience with this issue? If your
> players decide to name their rooms "Microsoft" or "Coca-Cola," can those
> companies legitimately force you to cease and desist?
>   I realize this issue may sound like a laugher. But so have many other
> cases, which have wound up in court with substantial damages extracted
> by the offended party.

WARNING!!!  I AM NOT A LAWYER!!!

That being said, this guy sounds pretty much like a clown.  He says the
name is copyrighted, not trademarked.  'Mystical' and 'Crossroads' are
ordinary words that even when combined cannot be copyrighted or
trademarked.  Because of the commonality of the words, they cannot be
copyrighted, AFAIK.  And since they are spelled normally and are not
unique in anyway, they cannot be trademarked.

Additionally there is no citation of a copyright in his usage of the
name, so how isw anyone supposed to know that it is copyrighted!

Fortunately, he included his e-mail address so that I can tell him to
blow it out his ear myself!

For want its worth, (oh wait! isn't that a copyrighted song! oh no,
federal violations everywhere!  i am so scared!)

John

jpwilson@nebula.tbe.com - John P. Wilson - Jammers Unite!