Trouble compiling pgperf

I got all the object files for pgperf to compile with little trouble.
But then when it gets to the building step, it gets this error:

BayMOO% make
gcc -DLO_CAL -DGATHER_STATISTICS -O -p -g -fstrength-reduce -fomit-frame-pointer
 -fdelayed-branch -finline-functions -o gperf options.o iterator.o main.o perfec
t.o keylist.o listnode.o xmalloc.o  hashtable.o boolarray.o readline.o stderr.o
version.o getopt.o
ld: fatal: file mcrt1.o: cannot open file; errno=2
ld: fatal: File processing errors.  No output written to gperf
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `gperf'
BayMOO%

I grepped for 'mcrt1' in all the pgperf files, and none of the files have
any mention of it.  Any ideas?

Thanks

Phantom

PS:  I've been away for several months, due to a problem with my regular
email server, I'm back from this address until that server's problems can
be resolved (probably a month.)