Re: [wish list]: `foo'

At 02:44 PM 7/31/96 PDT, Pavel Curtis wrote:
>Quinn writes:
>> It'd be cool to be able to shorthand `expr ! ANY' all the way to `expr'.
>
>Not doing this was an explicit design decision.  Almost always, the use of ANY
>is a mistake; you should list the errors you actually expect to see so that the
>unexpected ones won't just disappear.  Since proper use of ANY is so rare, I
>didn't want to encourage improper use by making it the default.

Usually, there are two possible errors for any sane programmer's expression.
One error is the one you are trying to avoid by the `' expression, and the
other error would only be by a bug in the code.  Perhaps using `expr' would
be best after the code is debugged.

I believe tracebacks should not be encouraged.  I do all of my code -d
unless I'm debugging (hence the name 'debug flag'), so I haven't used `'
except in an eval()... But I agree with Quinn anyways... :)

- Kipp
http://radioactivo.com.mx/~paradigm