Out of Ticks for request + other questions

	HI,

	We have just opened our MOO for students to use as part
	of a virtual Society course. We have 200+ players which has
	caused a few problems that I hope you can help with.

	1) The request verb now runs out of ticks and hence terminates before
	   the request can complete - This happened somewhere around the 150
	   or so players. I assume that the matching of names
	   $player_db:avaiable calls a recursive #37:find_exact verb which
	   is the problem. My first though was to add a check on the ticks
	   $command_utils:running_out_of_time() and then call suspend
	   but further down the chain is some read()s which will not work
	   if task has been suspended. How do I fix this problem - without
	   disabling checks. Do I just up the ticks for this task? (How)

	2) Can the wizard walk around without it being announced to the other
	   players?

	3) Any management tricks and idea for large player databases are very
	   welcome.

	Thanks in advance.

	-David.
 David Channon                                .-_|\
 Department of Computer Science              /     \
 The University of Newcastle                 \.--._/
 NSW, 2308, AUSTRALIA                             v
 Email : mailto://dchannon@cs.newcastle.edu.au
 URL   : http://wwwcs.newcastle.edu.au/Research/VMRG/dchannon.html
 not tried it." -- Donald E. Knuth

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index