wish-list

Frobs in MOO sounds like a great idea. In fact, while we're talking about
Coldifying MOO, why not add some of Cold's sophistication in method calls?
Far too much DB space is wasted with code like 'if (caller != this)', 'if
($perm_utils:controls(caller_perms(), this))' and so on for my liking. Some
new verb flags specifying what can call this verb would:
a) save database space
b) make security simpler for newbie programmers/wizards
c) move the security checking to the server, speeding things up considerably.
Perhaps a 't' flag meaning caller must be == this, others for other common
checks...
I wonder exactly how many ticks are used calling $perm_utils:controls()
over and over? I bet it's a big number.

I'm a bit suspicious of user-defined data types, though. One of the nicest
things about MOO for newbies is probably the fact that variables don't have
to be declared, and can have their types changed simply by assigning them
values of a different type.

My tuppence (ugh, cliche).

Matthew Sanderson
m.sanderson@student.anu.edu.au
The Australian National University, Canberra.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
     --Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949