Wish-list (!object nums)

Hi,

I am a novice, so the following may be said out of ignorance.
The thing that struck me most are object numbers. I think that any
need to use them should be removed from the language. Rather it
should be possible to use names as object indentifiers.

The Goal:
1. Reduce reliance on object numbers.

The Proposal:
1. When an object is created it can be tagged as 'global'
2. Unique objects have their names in a global name space, which can
be referenced from anywhere.
3. Local variables that clash with these unique names would override
them.

The Rational:
I think not using object numbers where possible is so obvious i wont
elaborate.

Making only *some* objects 'global' would not put every object into
this global name-space. Rather only generic classes and unique
objects would likely be added (maybe players ?).
A simple naming convention would also help manage the global namespace
clutter.

Local vars would override the globals because otherwise
as new globals are created old code may not function properly
anymore.

It could be implemented as a object flag bit (aka permission bit).
a = create(p, o);
would initially set a.global to 0
Changes to .name would become dependent on the value of .global

Anyways, thats some thoughts.

--Geoffrey King--Software Engineer--Ice T Multimedia--