RE: wish-list (new perm flag)

<SNAP ON>

 ----------
From:  jesse montrose[SMTP:jesse@spine.com]
Sent:  Wednesday, August 21, 1996 12:11 PM
To:  MOO-Cows
Subject:  Re: wish-list (new perm flag)

I really like this idea.  Perhaps it could be handled with a more
unix-like
permission set?  User/Group/Other?  It wouldn't have to break any old
perms,
because a single set could be tripled on loading a db, and verbs that
passed
a simple "rdx" could default to setting the Other perm, so it wouldn't
have
to break old verbs.

At 07:58 PM 8/20/96 PDT, Matthew Sanderson wrote:
>Frobs in MOO sounds like a great idea. In fact, while we're talking
about
>Coldifying MOO, why not add some of Cold's sophistication in method
calls?
>Far too much DB space is wasted with code like 'if (caller != this)',
'if
>($perm_utils:controls(caller_perms(), this))' and so on for my liking.
Some
>new verb flags specifying what can call this verb would:
>a) save database space
>b) make security simpler for newbie programmers/wizards
>c) move the security checking to the server, speeding things up
considerably.
>Perhaps a 't' flag meaning caller must be == this, others for other
common
>checks...
>I wonder exactly how many ticks are used calling $perm_utils:controls()
>over and over? I bet it's a big number.

[snip]
jesse montrose <jesse@spine.com> http://www.spine.com
     After seven years, I was sent home to my family.
                 Little man, I give the watch to you.

<SNAP OFF>

Yes, yes, yes! Security was my main trouble in MOO coding
(almost because I came from MUSH before :) and I really
think that can let the wiz a few less nervous about given
a program bit to someone.

And about the user/group/all idea, I would let it to a
user/wiz/all idea in place (and keep the x flag for
compatibility!)

Fab.