Re: Database editors

>May I add changing a player's password,

yuck.

>setting a player flag (for those
>really stupid ones who @toad #2 without backing up first), etc.  One time I
>accidently @recycled #0 on my personal play pen MOO. (Believe me it was an
>accident... I made a typo in an eval or something.  Honest.)

Anyone who does this more than once (and if you do do it, then you should be
 restoring from a backup, not trying to edit the db) probally isn't learning
 that these things are "bad".  If you are working on something big or if
 you are accident prone, you should be making backups often.

The line "those who @toad #2 without backing up first" makes it sound like
 toading #2 is a regular practice. :)

>So, might I also add porting an object between databases?

While I will admit that @dump is not the best, it does work, and is, at this
 time, the best thing we have for porting objects.

As far as everyone knows (no known reported cases) the LambdaMOO server doesn't
 corrupt databases during normal operation (I've never even seen a db become
 corrupt during abnormal operation), so there is no reason you shouldn't be
 using the server to change the contents of a database, and even for operator
 error, a backup of the db is a much better option than hand editing it.
    /   /  Andy Bakun     _/_      / /  `  /)  /)       _/_
  How much head could a bonehead bone   />  />
    if a bonehead could bone head?     //  //
  http://tecfa.unige.ch:4243/~tef/    </  </