Re: Database Editors

Timothy Brown drew these hieroglyphs:

> This was not my original intent in database editors.  I'm mainly looking
> for a neat MS-DOS interface that I can _directly_ edit a database, specifically
> @creating rooms (yes, I know that's a core command, don't lecture me please)
> but in the general sense, it seems like a Good Thing (tm).  If your database
> is so insecure that it is easily accessible by ftp or something similar then
> you shouldn't be running a MOO anyway.  A database editor seems to me like
> the answer to a lot of simple MOO administration commands.  Have you ever
> seen Merc's Windows area editor for Merc/CircleMUD?  It is one sweet piece
> of coding.  I'm not sayign that something like that could be similarly useful
> for MOO editing but the idea is the same -- if you need to add an escape code
> to somewhere in the DB for example or something similar, or you want to do
> a big chunk of coding on your local machine with a fullscreen editor (don't
> lecture me on mud.el and local editing macros present in some MOOs/Tinyfugue
> stuff)...

The @create command goes through a whole host of interactions with
other objects as well as the newly created object.  An editor would
not call :initialize() on an object, or $recycler:_create, or in the
case of rooms, create and link exits.  If you want to do all that,
well, you're re-inventing LambdaMOO.  And why not lecture you on
mud.el and tf?  MOO is geared specifically toward on-line creation and
programming, and you're looking to take it off-line.  Not a big
priority for the average MOO programmer.

> What i'm saying is it could possibly be a worthwhile utility to right if it
> had some cool features in it.  Naturally, it'd need to use parts of code from
> the LambdaMOO Server perhaps, but even this would be Something of Dubious
> Utility (tm) that i'd like to see someday.

Perhaps of utility to you.  I personally can't see any use for it.
Now if you can program a windows client that creates MOO code scripts
for area creation, THAT would be the niftiest thing since
$sliced_bread.

chuck
imagining that he'll be logging onto E_MOO to find someone did this:

@@corelog #0.sliced_bread
Added this really nifty property.
.