Re: #0:do_command()

On Thu, 21 Sep 1995, Seth I. Rich wrote:

> > For command-line verbs, it seems that #0:do_command() sends its output
> > before the output of the player's verb.  I want to find a way to make it
> > (or something comparable to it) output _after_ the output of a
> > command-line verb.
>
> It should be very rare that #0:do_command should itself send output to
> the player.  This verb call is supported to permit specialized in-DB
> parsing (of whatever variety).
>
> However, I wonder what use it would be for a general function called
> -after- the verb is completed.  If my task suspends, what happens to
> this afterward verb call?  I suppose I don't see what possible use it
> could be.
>
> + I add a verb to myself.  What do you want to tell me afterwards, that's
>   not part of the output of whatever command I used?
> + I start a database scanning task which completes in four hours.  What
>   would your proposed code tell me?
>
> Are there any models under which such a hook would be useful?

I'm suprised nobody mentioned this, because someone wrote something like
do_after_command called 'do_prompt'...  Prompts, simply.  The MOO can
calculate what the prompt is supposed to do (or if it's even supposed to
appear) as soon as the command is done.  Maybe to even expand this,
do_after_command would be run as soon as the task is done, or suspends.
do_after_verb is called when the whole verb thingy is done...  Prompts
are just one of those things that come in handy when you're tryin' to
design an RP system.  I mean, heck, why not?  If you don't like the
feature, don't use it...

- Kipp