Re: [SERVER]

On Fri, 27 Oct 1995, Ranalou wrote:

> I have a suggestion, if no such device is already in place.  I was
> wondering if it was feasible to have the ability to re-define builtins on
> the $server object?  I'm sure you would still have to be able to pass()
> back down to the original, but, if someone else has a good idea of how
> the server could interpret it (I have no clue, and thus don't even know
> the feasibility) then, tell me what you think.

It is feasible, although perhaps not quite in the way you envisage, but
having the same eventual result.

It would probably be a good idea to create an object called $corefunc,
and then create various verbs on this object, that corresponded exactly
to the real core functions.

Then, take a look at the documentation that comes with LambdaMOO on how
to protect the core functions.

This will force all non-wizards to call $corefunc:<function>() instead of
<function>() directly.

The impact this would have on an existing Lambda Core is not trivial.

Regards,

Ian.

| Ian Macintosh         | P.O. Box 24-036      | Anything really worth    |
| General Manager       | Royal Oak            | doing, is worth doing    |
| Sytek New Zealand Ltd | Auckland 1           | badly.     - Duncan Shaw |
| Tel : +64 9 625-6159  | Fax : +64 9 625-5374 | Mobile : +64 25 836-230  |