Re: Composition area

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Chuck Mize wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> Awhile back I was visiting different MOO sites and found a site that allowed
> you to set an input mode where what the user was typing would not be
> interupted by the noise in the room.  I thought this must have been a common
> feature so I did not pay more attention to it.  Now on our educational MOO,
> the main complaint we have is that comments being composed by one user are
> constantly being interupted by other users comments.
>
> How can we set up the MOO so that when a user starts a comment or command,
> other traffic will not interrupt their typing?  Any and all help is always
> appreciated.

You should use TinyFugue or some other MUD/MOO client, instead of plain
old telnet -- they put the command you're typing in a different place than
the output you get from the MOO, so it doesn't interfere with typing.

It would be very difficult to make the MOO do this automatically; the
server gets its input from the telnet connection in line-by-line, not
character-by-character, mode, so the server doesn't get any indication
that a command is being typed until the command is complete and enter
pressed.

You could, however, make a command that would suspend output to a player
by having their :tell store input to them, rather than send it to their
:notify; then a corresponding command would unsuspend output and send all
th buffered data.

Ultimately, TinyFugue and friends are the best solution, in my opinion.

  --Chris                           cunkel@engin.umich.edu
    ResComp Network Support Technician, Bursley Hall
    "Invisibility is in the eye of the beholder."
    Home Page: http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~cunkel/