Re: Thanks!

he header I received was quite strange.  Instead of saying, "From: <space@nebula.ispace.com>" (which did appear in the "Reply-to:" field) the header said:
> I've gone through the $network and $mail variables and set everything up - am I missing something else?

It'll always do that:  your apparent email address will be your object number, at (your MOO's name, as stored in $network.MOO_name).moo.mud.org

> (2)  Allright - this may sound like a really stupid question - but to someone who's fairly familiar with Unix - but unfortunately not so with MOO's, I was a bit surprised after going through the object numbers and finding a player called "Hacker" ?!  Ne

edless to say it's password has since been changed to something so unintelligable - hell, I even forgot what I set it to - BUT - what is this "player" used for anyway?  It sure owns a lot of verbs....  I know, stupid question...

Hacker ($hacker) is a dumping-ground for verbs and objects the wizards find useful, but potentially dangerous to be wizard-owned (which amounts to the same as anything that doesn't need to be wizardly).  The default .password property for Hacker is a text

 string already, preventing any logins at all.

> (3)  The housekeeper... is this a process that is constantly running while the MOO is in operation?  I remember reading that it will pick up "litter", etc. as well.  ????

There's a verb on $housekeeper called keep_clean (I believe) that'll do this, read the verb code to see what it picks up.  The `housekeeper arrives to cart blah off to bed' messages you may see are the product of $room:disfunc (ie, the `disfunc' disconnec

tion-function verb on generic room), not verbs on $housekeeper per se.

when I @audit wizard, they appear still in the database but with <invalid-object> as their description.  Should I worry?

Use $recycler:_recycle( obj ) instead of recycle( obj ), as the former `recycles' the number for later recreation.  New players are always given new numbers, but @create'd objects and @dig'ged rooms use the recycler whenever possible.

> (5)  And last but not least - does anyone know of a way for automatically "cleaning up" the database while the MOO is in operation or am I subject to the database growing in sizes so large that it uses up all my system resources (special thanks to "def"

 for kinda helping me out on this issue the other night - but how can I, as a Wizard, ensure that once we go live the players will purge their mail (and how can I check?) or is this something the housekeeper will do automatically?)

You can put a call to `this:expire_old_messages()' (I believe) in $player:confunc (connection-function verb on generic player) which should have the effect of deleting mail more than a month old on the player.  Short of that, you might consider switching

to byte-based quota (IMO, a last-resort measure), reducing the quota of people who have too much mail, or whatever you feel is appropriate.  The Housekeeper does not delete old mail.

RiverMOO (river.honors.indiana.edu 8888) has a system of mail expiration where you are notified at login that mail will be deleted on you.  When you logout, it's actually deleted at logout.  This gives people a chance to @netforward their mail to keep fro

m losing it.
Def.