making your moo send mail

Hi,
I've been struggling with making my moo send mail so that people can
request characters.  Right now when you do @request player name for email
address, the moo returns:

The system cannot resolve the name of the system you're connected from.
Please send mail to , with the character name you want.

I have edited the options file to take out the */ line, have set
$network.active to 1, and have set the properties on $network to our specs
(i.e. $network.port to our port number), and still no luck.  I am running
1.7.9p2 of the LambdaMOO server code on a single processor Sparc 20.

This is a frustrating mystery and I am hoping someone out there has some
clues for me to follow to solve this problem!

TIA

jeanne@swnetworks.com
fofster@echonyc.com