Re: DANGER VIRUS ALERT (fwd)

This is a very old fake.  There are several reasons why and I'll point
them out in the message.  A few weeks ago the guy in charge of virus
detection at work posted about this and other fakes.

On Sat, 7 Dec 1996, Matt Dominianni wrote:

> In case you haven't heard about this yet...

For a virus to infect your computer you need to execute the program it is
attached to.  Reading the file is not executing it.  Most mail readers do
not do any execution when they read a file.  It's the difference between
a @list verb and a exec verb.

The FCC DOES NOT issue virus warnings.  I'm not sure who does, I think
it's CERT, but the FCC does not.

This virus would have to have a really good AI built into it, for it to
be able to do this.  An AI of this caliber would have to be very slow
acting (increasing the chance of detection) or very fast acting, which
would most likely crash a machine.

For this to happen and be OS independent (as stated below) the virus
would have to have to have some SMTP stuff built into it.  And be able to
interface with the networking components of the operating system.  And
these components are so different betweek OSes its not funny.

A virus has to be taloried for a specific operating system.  A virus that
attacks a DOS machine can't attack a UNIX of VMS machine.  Even if it was
written in machine language.  A Sun Sparc station does not talk x86.

The virus could be written in JAVA, but many operating systems don't
support JAVA directly yet.  And because of this the program could not
stay memory resident.  While on some computers it may be able to stay
memory resident, this warning says it will attack any O/S.

For these reasons this warning is a hoax and one that has been going
around for at least 6 months.

I think this hoax was initially called the Good Times virus.