limiting outbound packet size

At DU for the last couple weeks we have been at the mercy of some bad router
situation with the ISP of our host. Thanks to our fellow wizards and moo-ers
for helping us set up portals that people can use to get around the problem.

Sadly, we have no idea when it will be fixed.

Simply stated (and I don't have all the tech details) it seems that outbound
packets larger than a certain size (1500 bytes is what I have heard) block up
the outbound connection. People who connect can still send commands to the moo
but are unable to see any kind of feedback. (some have been able to page or
send moomail blind, etc)

I was wondering if there was some way to temporarily hack the server to limit
the size of outbound packets to fit within the limit? SOme of us are thinking
that maybe the internet software will bundle outgoing packtets anyway it
pleases and it doesn't matter what we do.

If we can make a quick fix, where in the source would I find it (I have
searched for a while and cannot put my finger on it, though a few times I
thought I was close) and what kind of a change is needed?

You can either reply to the list or email me directly.

DU runs 1.8.0p5 with fup attached
uname -a shows...
SunOS ladybug.erg.sri.com 5.4 generic sun4m sparc

Dave @ Diversity University MOO

--
The AtticKeeper: David Morris  mailto:bweaver@worf.netins.net
---