Re: limiting outbound packet size

Followup to:  <199701152021.OAA03325@gently.netins.net>
By author:    "David Morris" <bweaver@worf.netins.net>
In newsgroup: local.moo

> Simply stated (and I don't have all the tech details) it seems that
> outbound packets larger than a certain size (1500 bytes is what I
> have heard) block up the outbound connection. People who connect can
> still send commands to the moo but are unable to see any kind of
> feedback. (some have been able to page or send moomail blind, etc)
>
> uname -a shows...
> SunOS ladybug.erg.sri.com 5.4 generic sun4m sparc

This sounds suspiciously much like the Ethernet maximum packet size,
which is just 1500 bytes when using TCP/IP.  This would seem to
indicate an IP fragmentation in your OS kernel.  Since all versions of
Solaris 2.0 <= x <= 2.4 are notoriously buggy (2.5 and 2.5.1 seem
reasonable), I would suggest either upgrading to Solaris 2.5(.1) or
installing the latest patch cluster from Sun, available from
<http://sunsolve.sun.com/>.

	-hpa
--
PGP public key available - finger hpa@zytor.com
Key fingerprint: 2047/2A960705 BA 03 D3 2C 14 A8 A8 BD  1E DF FE 69 EE 35 BD 74