Re: Connection Redirection?

>At 10:39 AM 2/22/96 PST, you wrote:
>>>Agreed.  I can not think of a specific instance where this would be useful,
>>>and in most cases, it would only confuse the user.
>>
>>To me, a lot of the fun of the MOO is letting people do things that they
>>could never do in real-life.  And switching places with another person
>>is precisely one of those things.
>
>Isn't this what morphs are for?

Er, no... they're totally different.  You're not really taking on the
persona of another character...  there's no *risk* with a morph.
Switching players with someone else IS a risk... it's scarey and
weird...

>And if everyone is taking on the body
>(object) another person, you can never be sure who you are talking to.

Yes, indeed.

>Are people really that interested in doing stuff like that?

Well, I am!

>And if you did a "Freaky Friday" MOO, it would never be a place where people could talk to
>others about personal stuff, you wouldn't know if who was on the recieving
>end.

I wasn't planning to swap players wholesale... just whilest inside one room...
with warnings...

>The swappers would have to play each other really well.  Not to
>mention access to the coveted .email_address -- after all, I wouldn't want
>to be harassed by someone who swapped player objects with me.

Right -- you'd really have to know the people you swapped with.

>Personally, I'd use it as much as I use morphs, which is never.

I don't use 'em either even though I spent a lot of work creating
a neat-o morph feature.  But people eat up morphing.

>You might as well just set everyone's .password to a false value.

???  Don't see this.

There are other possibilities if you can remap connections...

For example, remapping people to a simplified character where you have rewritten a
lot of the verbs...  for programmed instruction for example.

    /t

Tom Ritchford     tom@mvision.com, tom@weirdos.com

Verge's "Little Idiot" -- Music for the mentally peculiar.
1-800-WEIRDOS           http://www.fly.net/~tom/verge.html