Re: ethics discussion

The ethics for me lies only in the welcome message. If I go onto a MOO
and it's wide-open with @snoop and such, I think it's reasonable to know
about this in advance (or shortly thereafter). I assume, maybe wrongly,
that I'm not being listened to, mail's not being read, etc. Newbies are
likely to make this assumption even more, since they're not aware that
these things are possible. And at least for newbies (I'm much more wary
at the moment) damage can be done - people discuss everything from per-
sonal affairs to business on the MOOs, and sometimes for example stu-
dents will be asked to come into one or another for discussion. If it's
going to be all the way around a buyer beware discussion, then that
should be known as a general condition of MOOing, which it's not. Even on
a talker for example, I found myself and a friend being listened to, and
was taken completely by surprise.

Alan

( http://jefferson.village.virginia.edu/~spoons/internet_txt.html
Images at http://www.cs.unca.edu/~davidson/pix/ )